I woke up on Saturday morning (June 27th) at 5:30, having to use the bathroom, as usual.  But, when I rolled over and sat up to get out of bed I got a wet surprise and thought that maybe I had peed myself since it was kind of a small gush. So I grabbed a towel out of the laundry basket and continued to the bathroom to do my business and then came back to bed. I put a towel down where it was wet and soon after I laid back down i started getting cramps down low in my belly.

My DH (Jason) got up to go to the bathroom a few minutes later and when he came back I told him that I thought I might have had an “accident” but that now I was having some weird cramping. He asked if it was my water and I told him I didn’t know, that it wasn’t like what I would have expected my water breaking to have been. I thought it was supposed to be like a flooding gush, but that I was now having the cramps.

I was losing my mucus plug the day before so I was kind of worried that this might be labor. We took the Bradley method and learned that sometimes you will have false labor and being that my due date wasn’t until july 21st, I thought that maybe this is what was going on. So, following the Bradley guide I got up around 6 am and took a shower to try and see if they would stop. Also, I wasn’t full term for 4 more days and the midwives told us at our last appointment that we could only delver at the birth center with them once we had reached full term which was still 4 days away, so i needed these contractions to stop.

Anyway, I got in the shower and had Jason start timing the contractions on contractionmaster.com (great site by the way!). I stayed in the shower for about an hour but the contractions kept coming. I still wasn’t sure if they were real or not because they didn’t seem to be getting any worse, pain wise and they seemed kind of sporadic but close together.

When I got out of the shower I checked the timing that he had recorded and they all seemed to be lasting about 30-60 seconds and were all between 1 1/2 – 2 min apart. Well, we had learned that when contractions start they should be short contractions but about 10 minutes apart, which mine obviously were not. It was only 7am so we really didn’t want to call the midwives yet, because we didn’t want to be those people who show up 5 times to have their baby and actually be having false labor, so I drank a lot of water and started walking around, all the while talking and going about doing things normally. But, I decided if they were still coming at the same rate by 8am I would call them.

Jason ran to his mom’s to get the lawn mower, because we had gotten a notice from the city saying we needed to mow or we may be fined, so he ran and got that and was back a little before 8am. He came in to see how I was doing and I told him I was still having contractions at the same rate as before and still not very strong.

We then decided I should call the midwife on call and tell her about the contractions I was having, that they didn’t seem to be very strong but were really close together. She said that since I wasn’t quite full term that I should go to the hospital near the birth center and if it was real labor that they would need to give me meds to stop them. I then reminded her that we lived an hour away and that I really wasn’t sure if it was just false contractions or not and that I had been trying to walk them off but I didn’t want to be speeding things up if they were real. She said “Oh yeah, I forgot you were that far away” and she suggested that since it didn’t sound like I was really having a problem with the contractions that maybe that was what was going on, so to stop walking and get in the tub, drink lots of water, take a double dose of  calcium-magnesium and call her back in an hour to let her know how things were going.

So Jason ran and got the pills she said to get and I got in the tub. I took the double dose while Jason called our moms and my sister to tell them what was going on but not to worry, that we thought they might just be false and that we were trying to get them to stop and then he went out and started on the lawn.

I stayed in the tub for about an hour and a half until I was so uncomfortable I had to get out. I figured it was because it is a small tub so I wasn’t even actually able to get my big belly under the water unless I turned on my side which in turn made my hips hurt, so I got out and called her back. She asked how far the contractions were apart and I told her I didn’t know because I was in the tub and Jason was mowing the yard. She asked if they were growing in intensity but I told her that I didn’t think they were, that I was just really uncomfortable being in the tub because it was so small.

I then told her that I had lost my mucus plug the night before and that I wasn’t sure if some of my water had broken that morning, because I forgot to tell her earlier. She then said that she was finishing up a home birth and that she wanted me to go ahead and come into the birth center so she could check to see if I was leaking fluid and to see if I was dilating or not. We agreed to meet there at 11:30 because we needed to get ourselves together and it takes an hour to get there.

I went and got Jason out of the yard and told him to take a shower while I got dressed and put all our stuff into a bigger bag and got a few more things together. He took a quick shower and started helping to get things together, but was concerned because the lawn wasn’t finished and we didn’t want to get fined so he started asking about what we needed to do to get a hold of the city to let them know that I might be in labor and that we wouldn’t be getting the lawn done.

Well, about that time the contractions really started getting bad, like almost instantly. one minute I was handling them fine then the next was really slamming and I had to stop and brace myself for it and I couldn’t even talk.

I got a few more like that while he was getting a little frantic about getting things out to the car and worrying about the yard not getting mowed, and he kept asking me were the phone number was for the city. I finally lost it and told him to “f*** the lawn” we needed to go and to leave a note!!! He ended up finding the number and calling before we left, at which the city guy said yes, don’t worry about the lawn get to the hospital!

If I wasn’t having such strong contractions, it was really quite comical to see my DH so frantic about getting everything to the car, and then he starts running around talking about “We need towels!! We need more towels!!”

We finally got out to the car and realized that we needed gas!! So, we stopped and got enough to get us there and then got on the highway.  At this point my poor DH is really stressing out and is hauling to get us to the birth center as fast as possible, but go figure that everyone and their brother decided to be on the highway at the same time I decide to go into labor. So, Jason puts on his emergency lights, is going like 95-100 MPH and is flashing his lights, honking the horn and trying to wave all these “fools” out of the way!

A little back info, we had planned that we would have fruit and cheese and crackers to eat when we went into labor, but being that we were 3 weeks till our due date we didn’t have any of it on hand, and neither of us had eaten anything before we left. He then remembers that we don’t have any of the food I wanted so he gets on the phone and calls his mom and tells (yells to) her that she needs to go get fruit!! “MOM!!!! I NEED FRUIT!!! I NEED FRUIT, YOU NEED TO GO GET FRUIT AND CHEESE AND CRACKERS AND MEAT!! WE HAVEN’T EATEN ANYTHING AND SHE IS IN LABOR!!!! BRING IT TO THE BIRTH CENTER!!!”  But, she doesn’t even know where the birth center is, so he then tries to tell (yell) directions to her.

He is so sweet, here we thought we would have this romantic labor and delivery, and he would feed me fruit and give me ice chips, so he was still going to do anything in his power to make my “labor day” dream come true.  Well, he finally gets off the phone with her and is flying down the road, when up ahead we see a state trooper pull out in front of us with his lights on!! “OH GOD!!!” he frets “WE ARE GONNA GET PULLED OVER!!”  but the trooper pulls over some one else, so he flies by them at near 100 MPH.

At this point my contractions are reallllllly bad and I am feeling a lot of pressure and it feels like my body is pushing and I can’t stop it!!! And we are still 30 minutes away!!!  I really started getting worried.  Luckily, he was going so fast that the 30 minutes turned into closer to 20 minutes and we finally are about 4 miles from our exit.

Well, he is steadily “moving” people out of our way when we come up behind a city police officer! Well, cop or no cop, he needed to get the hell out of our way and there was no way around him, so at this point emergency lights flashing, he flashes his lights non-stop, starts honking his horn like a mad man and we are BOTH waving at the cop to get out of the way!! BUT THE FOOL WON”T BUDGE!!!!  Then finally there is a break in the traffic and we are like 1 1/2 miles from out exit, so we go shooting around him and cross all 3 lanes to get to our exit lane, but of course the cop puts on his lights and PULLS US OVER!!!

Jason tore off the road and stopped so fast the cop probably almost hit us, he jumps out of the car and yells “OH NO, YOU GOTTA LET US GO!! MY WIFE’S IN LABOR AND SHE IS FIXING TO HAVE THIS KID RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW!!! THIS IS OUR EXIT, WE GOTTA GET TO THE BIRTH CENTER!!!!” The cop then walks up to the car while Jason is getting back in and as soon as he sticks his head in the door I feel a gush of water “OH GOD, NOW MY WATER JUST BROKE” I yell.

(I must interject, get some depends for the “big day” they really do the trick) The cops jaw drops and all he can do is stutter, ” Ah, ok, go on, just be careful, don’t hurt anyone!”  We take off!  We run the red lights between the exit and the birth center and get there at about 11:25am.

Jason jumps out of the car and rushes around to help me out and helps me to the front door, at this point I know the baby is coming, it felt like he was half way down my birth canal. we get over to the door and Jason reaches out to open it, and it is LOCKED!!!!  “OH MY GOD, IT’S LOCKED!! WHERE IS SHE, I THOUGHT SHE WAS GONNA MEET US HERE!!!” he yells and his face just drops as his heart about stops, we are going to have this baby on the side walk!

Just then a little old janitor lady comes to the inside of the door and tells us “they are closed”. He says to her “no, you gotta let us in, my wife is having this baby NOW!! Hope (my midwife) is supposed to be meeting us here please let us in!!” But she can’t get the door unlocked so she tells us to come to the next door, which is a pediatrician office that is attached to the birth center.

We get into the building and there just happens to be a pediatrician there. Usually there wouldn’t be anyone there, but she just happened to be holding a seminar there that day. So me, Jason, the ped, and the janitor make our way down to the waiting room of the birth center and the rest of the center is across the hall locked up tight! I grab the phone and call Hope. She anwers all pleasant and calm “hey, hows it going?”  I’m frantic, “Hope!! where are you?!?!?!  You gotta get here, he’s coming, HE’S COMING RIGHT NOW!!!!!!” She’s taken a back.  “What??? you weren’t urgent on the phone the last time i talked to you, what happened??? I’m almost there, I’ll call Sharon, she is right around the corner!! We will be right there!!”

At this point the ped (Dr. Cerone) and Jason help to get my bottoms off as dr Cerone instructs the janitor to get plastic bags, paper towels and gloves! And she states that she has delivered children before so she will deliver ours if she needs to. They get me to the floor as they are laying out the bags and paper and the dr is getting her gloves on.

Just then Sharon (the head midwife) comes through the door, bare foot and half dressed. “What happened? You aren’t supposed to be having him yet.” She smiles and asks dr Cerone if she has checked me yet, but she hadn’t. So Sharon grabs some gloves as Hope runs in, and she checks and says “oh yeah, i feel his head, he is right there, we need to get you to the birth bed. when your next contraction subsides let us know we need to move you. its not going to go away completely, so just when you feel it ease up some let us know.”

It eases a bit so they (Jason and Sharon) help carry me to the birth bed. Jason climbs into the bed next to me and I’m on my side pushing and about to rip his pocket off. I push a couple times like that and they say to get onto my back so I can push better, so they roll me to my back. I get one leg and Jason’s neck and Jason gets my other leg. Jason looks around and says “Oh my god, I can see his head! I can see his head, he has hair!!”

I pushed again and Jason can see him coming out and is so excited “You’re almost there, our little guy is almost here and he has so much hair!” They tell me to reach down and I feel my babies head and he does have a full head of hair! I pushed 3 more times and his head came out, then his little body!

They placed our baby on my chest and it was the most wonderful, shocking thing ever! It was so surreal, I couldn’t even believe that I had woke up only 6 hours prior and all of a sudden now I’m holding our baby!!

Jaxon Creed was born at 11:56 am and was 6lb 13oz and was 19 inches, he is so precious and perfect, with a full head of hair like I had when I was born. He has my lips and daddy’s nose and both of ours green eyes.

“Well, i didn’t see that coming.” Sharon said smiling once it was all over. Well, needless to say, there was no time to fill the tub to have the water birth we had wanted but we still couldn’t have had a better birth.

They checked his heart and lungs and wiped him off a little bit before they left us to bond together for about an hour. Kristin (the lactation consultant) then came in and asked if he had nursed yet and she helped me to feed him a little and showed me how to express some colostrum into a spoon to feed him if need be, while Jason held him.

About that time Jason’s mom called and said that she was about to leave her house to bring the fruit he demanded, but he told her that it was to late that the baby was born and she got to hear him cry. He said not to worry about it, that we would see her tomorrow. We then called my mom and sister so they could hear our boy and my mom was making her way up to my sister’s house. I then took a shower while Jason got some daddy bonding time and then he went and got us some food while Kristen again helped me to get him nursing. We stayed at the center till about 4 pm.

Because Jaxon wasn’t full term and so technically I was supposed to deliver at a hospital (but being that he was coming out there was no time to transfer me), they wanted us to stay in town for the night so they could keep watch on his vitals, so we went to a hotel to stay the night. you should have seen the looks on the peoples faces at the hotel when we got there. we showed him off to the man behind the counter, and on the way to our room there was a couple in the hall who asked “Oh, what a cute baby! How old is he? 1-2 weeks?” They were shocked when we told them, “No, he’s 4 hours old!”

We had a wonderful first night,in our king sized bed, both of us taking turns to watch him while the other slept and I spoon fed him throughout the night and took his temp and counted his breaths, which were all right where they needed to be. Hope came in the morning to make sure everything was going good and to check him over then we headed home with our new baby.