Sunday 10th of June, I noticed bub wasn’t moving all that much, so I rang the delivery suite and they told me to come in to get bub monitored. It was about 4.30pm and Matt(my husband) had started dinner, so we got the kids organised and took their dinner over to my mum’s house. On the way to mum’s I started having some painful contractions, but I put them down to being braxton hicks because they were so irregular. I had also gone into hospital on the Friday due to prelabour and this felt much the same.

We got to hospital at 6.15pm, drank some juice and sat around. The contractions started coming more frequently, every 2 mins and were fairly painful. Bub gave a few good kicks and we had to wait around to be examined before they would let me go home. At this stage the braxton hicks were getting a bit bitey but I didn’t have my hopes up after only being 1cm dilated on Friday. The midwife wanted to do an internal check before I was allowed to go and said I was 3cm. Just as she was telling me the bag of waters were bulging, they popped and I was 4cm, she told me I wouldn’t be going home.

We were then carted over to labour and delivery at around 9pm. I  had a doctor come and put a bung in my hand as I tested positive for strep B and needed 2 doses of antibiotics over 8 hours. They gave me the first dose at 10pm. The contractions started picking up, so I decided to hop in the shower. I stayed there for about half an hour, then walked around in the room and hung off Matt whenever I got a contraction. My two previous labours had me stuck in bed on a syntocin and this time I was determined to be active during my labour and avoid any intervention.

At midnight, the pain started to get to me and asked for some pethadine. My lovely midwife knew that I didn’t want it as I had written in my birth plan that I wanted a drug free birth, so she said she’d give me half a dose but she wanted to check me first. I agreed as with my second child I had pethadine too close to when he was born because they didn’t check me first and he was very lethargic. She did the internal and I was 6cm. She then suggested that because I was on the bed(I was tired and dozing between contractions) that maybe I should try getting up. I decided to try the shower again and the midwife asked if I’d like a bath and perhaps have a water birth. I jumped at the idea and hopped into the shower while I waited for them to fill the bath.

5 minutes in the shower and 3 strong contractions, I felt the urge to push. Poor Matt started to panic and went looking for the midwife(lucky she hadn’t gone too far). I told her I had to push(here I am standing in the middle of the room dripping wet in the nude lol). She didn’t really believe me til the next contraction hit and I was leaning over the bed and moaning(I had barely made any noise during my labour). I was pushing. Matt and the midwife were standing behind me, but I had no idea what they were talking about. When the contraction passed I said, I really do need to push. I quickly climbed onto the bed and his head was already crowning.

4 big pushes and 10 minutes later, Owen was born. He was put onto my chest and I held him for about 1/2 an hour. I wasn’t allowed to feed him straight away because I had only had 2 hours of antibiotics in me and they had to test him for infection. Once they had done that, he latched on straight away and fed for a good 30 mins.

He weighed 4125g (about 9lbs), 49cm long and head circ of 37cm (a HUGE head!) and I managed to get away with only a tiny graze too. I’m so happy I managed to avoid any intervention and that my body was allowed to do what it was meant to do on it’s own. I’m really bummed that I never got to have that water birth (not many hospitals allow that here), but nevermind, there’s always next time.