My fraternal twin boys were born at 36.3 weeks. They weighed 5.1lbs and 4.11 lbs.
They wanted to induce me because they thought baby A wasn’t growing anymore (they were wrong, they were off by 2 lbs and he was the biggest one). I went to the hospital. They hooked up the IV. They were going to put in the cervidel (without checking me first), they opened it and as they were checking to put it in…”Oops your 3 cm already”. So they had a $900 opened cervidel they cant use. it was a teaching hospital and now that I look back things could have gone better.
I really wanted an epidural this time. I didn’t have one with my oldest son and knew what it was like to give natural child birth. I didn’t want to go through that again. They wanted to break my water at 4 cm. I told them I wanted and epi before they broke my water because I KNEW that once they did, the contractions would get horrible and I would go fast. They of course didn’t listen and told me to wait 45 min after water broke to get the epi.
So they weren’t Braxton Hicks after all!! LOL!! So it all started Sunday night, I started having “Braxton HIcks” then on Monday too. I had a doctors apt Monday afternoon and I asked my doctor to check me b/c I was now 36 weeks, she said nope, we start checking at 37 weeks and those are just braxton hicks. So I was disappointed and went home.
Over the next two days I went to work (I sit in a room with one other pregnant woman and 3 mothers) and so I shared with them each hour or so my “pressure pains” I was feeling. Everyone laughed as I kept saying I was going to go natural, and bring my make up to the hospital!! LOL!! But we all knew I still had at least 3 more weeks.
On Wednesday after lunch I began to just time my braxton hicks just to see…they were 20 minutes apart. I only timed them for about an hour because after all this was false labor. I didn’t want to get my hopes up. Then Wednesday night, I didn’t really get too much sleep, I moaned in my sleep to deal with those BH!! Thursday morning, I woke up, got in the shower was going to go to work, when “something Happened”…I was loosing my “plug”. So I decided to stay home and go into work late because I wasn’t sure what to think.
Scott didn’t wait for Jon to get home from his deployment, but I’m totally ok with that. Aside from labor taking MUCH longer than I’d expected, it was a wonderful experience that I have (mostly) only fond memories of. The length of my labor surprised me b/c my first baby arrived in just under 5 hours, but this baby took 12 1/2 hours. . . here’s my birth story though. . .
Around 7:15 the night before Easter I started having contractions, but figured they were just more braxton hicks b/c I get them ALL the time. I took my son on a walk hoping it might turn them into something more or make them go away. . . they kept building, but nothing too bad. I got my son his bath and put him to bed, got his Easter basket out, and did some laundry and dishes. I figured if I WAS in labor, I didn’t wanna come home to a stinky, dirty house.
I had been having contractions for a couple of weeks, but I refused to time them. I figure I really could care less how far apart they are unless I am in labor. At my 38 week appointment I was dilated to a 1 but still thick mucus & the baby was floating. Dr Spoon originally wanted to strip my membranes this week but couldn’t plus since it was a couple of days till Thanksgiving we both weren’t in a hurry.
39 week appointment I was dilated to a 1-2, 50 effaced & baby was at a -1/-2 station. I had my membranes stripped and… nothing happened. I walked my 1.5 miles each day & got some contractions but nothing to interesting. Dr Spoon set up my induction appointment for Wednesday 10th @ 1PM.
It was really difficult because I had a time table to have the baby. I really wanted to go into labor on my own and have the baby without medication. I knew that if I had to be induced my chances of no medical interventions would most likely not happen.
*This birth story is written from the point of view of the mother’s sister*
I was lying in bed, having just turned out the reading lamp. The house was quiet—Colter and Greta were asleep, and Brent was in Leavenworth on a stakeout. Even though I was tired, I was excited. Reagan’s water had broken sometime earlier, and that meant my nephew would most likely come soon. I tried to sleep, knowing I would need all my energy to devote to helping Reagan get through labor and deliver the precious baby we had all anticipated for a long time.
But sleep did not find me that night. Jere called me at 1:00, just a few minutes after I had turned off the light. His voice was calm, but filled with excitement. Reagan was having regular contractions, and they were going to meet the midwife, who was driving in from Lawrence, at the birth center at 2:00. That meant I had an hour to pack up Colter and drop him off at my dad and stepmom’s house, and join Reagan and Jere at their house.
November 3, 2008 at 1:30am I was up late as usual trying to get to sleep, when I felt this thump and a little bit of fluid come out. At first I was like “dang, my water just broke.” But, at the same time I was in denial. After having to make two trips to the restroom I yelled for Steven to call the local hospital and ask them if I could come in to get checked. We called a friend to come and sit with the boys while we went to the hospital in town.
When we there they couldn’t find the Nitrazine strips to test the fluid to see if it was amniotic or urine. So she put me on a monitor, and did an internal I was 2cm and and confirmed that my water did break. She called to Fargo to let them know what was going on and they said to go ahead and send me. We went back by the apartment to let the friend know that we were going to go to Fargo and kiss Steven III and Jordan and get last minute stuff.
From 34 weeks on I had bouts of contractions strong enough to make me think it was the real thing, I tried everything to get them to quit, and just when I was thinking I should go to the hospital, they would quit. I was having twice weekly appointments after spending a few hours in L&D with some painful contractions at 36 weeks. I was dilated to 2 cm at 35 weeks, and progressed a little more each week before I actually went in to real labor to 4 cm. Every appointment my doc would make our game plan for if I went in to labor before the next appointment.
I was so miserable with all night long contractions that I was getting desperate. Monday July 20th I was 38 weeks and had a 9 am appointment, I asked my doc to strip my membranes, then went to the park with D, my husband, to do some serious walking. We spent 2 hours there, but got nothing but a sore back and lots of contractions. I gave up. I tried my best to remember that he would come when he was ready.
Our first child, Thomas James, was born on Monday, October 12th at 2:02am at Long Beach Memorial Hospital in Long Beach, California after approximately 11 hours of labor.
At my 37 1/2 week OB appointment Friday morning I learned that the baby was positioned perfectly and I was 2cm dilated and 50% effaced. I knew I could remain 2cm for another few weeks, or I could go into labor immediately, I was still excited to know I only had 8 more centimeters to go. I had been fighting a cold all week and wondered if my cough could cause me to go into labor a little early. My OB said it was a small possibility and made sure I had a copy of my medical records, just in case.
I woke up Sunday morning with some very light menstrual-type cramps. They were very weak but something I hadn’t felt at all during the course of my pregnancy. I did my best to ignore them for the morning and most of the afternoon.
Here is the story of my second daughter’s birth. I like to say that Haven made me a mother, which was about as earth shattering as you could get, but Lyric’s birth made me a doula and aspiring midwife.
Following a miscarriage in September of 07, my previous OB told me it was my fault because I was still breast-feeding. I had already decided I wanted a water birth with the second and wanted to switch providers but this really sealed the deal. I went looking for an affordable and more sympathetic (and less myth-based) approach.
Meeting the midwives at the Mountain Midwifery Birth Center I realized everything the midwifery model of care could offer. They actually seemed like the LIKED their jobs and talking to moms about their pregnancy and whatever else was going on in their lives, unlike my OB.
So, I’m not quite sure where to begin! It seems like getting to the point of finally meeting our babies was such a looong road! I ended up in the hospital an hour and a half away from where we live at 32 weeks gestational age, because I leaked some fluid and was contracting. This is the only hospital in Vermont with a NICU, so I had to go there because the twins would have been in the NICU for a week or two if born at that time. I was 2 centimeters dilated, 80% effaced the day I got transferred there. By the time I got there, I was 3 centimeters dilated. I was given steroid shots to help develop the twin’s lungs quicker, and given meds in the meantime to slow down my labor to allow the steroid shots to get in and do their job.
That was a Friday, and by Sunday, they moved me out of the labor and delivery unit and down on the postpartum floor since I wasn’t in active labor, but they said that the risks to me and the twins of stopping labor were greater than the risks of letting labor continue if it started on it’s own again, so if it started again on it’s own, they were going to let me go and deliver.
Birth is inspiring, amazing, and empowering. This website shares a collection of real natural birth experiences from you, the readers. Births the way nature intended. No pitocin. No epidural. Just the beauty (and intensity!) of the human body at work. Whether you've had one natural birth, five natural births, or are considering natural birth in the future, our hope is you will find courage and joy in these stories. Enjoy.
The Doula Book: How A Trained Labor Companion Can Help You Have A Shorter, Easier, And Healthier Birth
The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth